Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

DIY Radiation shield

Hi All,

I'm trying to build an aspirated radiation shield with a couple of dishes, a fan, a tube and a sht21 sensor but i have a few questions first.

1. Should the fan blow or suck the air into the tube?
2. What's the maximum air speed the fan should/may produce?
3. Should the fan run 24 hours a day, or use the settings in the TX software.
4. What settings will be good for germany? (When it doesn't run 24 hours a day)

That's it for the moment.

Regards, Zappie

http://www.davisnet.com/support/comparis...n-shields/
On the Davis FARS the air is sucked in over the sensor and expelled through the top of the FARS.

.pdf 24hr_fars_Exploded_Diagram.pdf Size: 707,77 KB  Downloads: 496

(29-12-2016, 01:34)JT118 Wrote:  http://www.davisnet.com/support/comparis...n-shields/

Thanks!

(28-12-2016, 12:01)Zappie Wrote:  Hi All,

I'm trying to build an aspirated radiation shield with a couple of dishes, a fan, a tube and a sht21 sensor but i have a few questions first.

1. Should the fan blow or suck the air into the tube?
2. What's the maximum air speed the fan should/may produce?
3. Should the fan run 24 hours a day, or use the settings in the TX software.
4. What settings will be good for germany? (When it doesn't run 24 hours a day)

That's it for the moment.

Regards, Zappie

Hi,

I think that is consensual that the fan should suck air from inside of the radiation shield, and not blow air to inside.

Regarding having the fan running 24 hours a day, the document referred on the link published by JT118 and also this one (Radiation Shields - An important and interesting study on radiation shields), already published on the forum, seems to point that the benefits of a fan are important only on some meteorological conditions: Very low winds combined with high insolation conditions.
It was due to what I learned on those studies, that I have implemented on the WeatherDuino software the possibility of the user to define the thresholds (low wind and temperature) to activate the fan, avoiding having it running when there are no benefits at all.
However, depending on the defined thresholds will be possible to have the fan always on. It's a user choice.

Hi,

It's not as easy as I thought. I have to change my plans a little.
Thankx for the information provided, it helps a lot! Think i need a second TX now to do some testing Big Grin 

Regards, Zappie